Thursday, February 26, 2009

Whimsical Wednesday II

I had quite the adventure yesterday. I  wandered around Hayes Valley, the mission and checked out the public library.  Cafe Tartine on Guerroro was delightful. I indulged a bit with a coconut macaroon. The outside tables were full of people chatting even though it became a bit chilly. They make fresh bread after five and I will have to return for a loaf.

 I returned to Market street and found an incredible shop called Rare Device. They sold bowls, calendars, clothes and even a poster made by Victoria at sfgirlbybay. It is even better in person. I purchased a bird calendar on sale and its now hanging on my wall. 

I continued down Market past the Its Tops diner, which has been there since 1935 where I will have to return for a burger, to the Public Library. It was very spacious and had a 50's art deco feel. The historical section on the 6th floor had an incredible collection of San Francisco history. 

I enjoyed a collection of Ansel Adams photography and letters. His correspondence with his girl friend and then wife, Virginia, was intriguing. I love the stories behind great and talented people. His use of light and the work he put into his photographs of Yosemite is admirable. His talent shines through the hindrances of the technology of the time. His tales of hiking with pounds of equipment to get to the perfect location paid off but make me appreciate the convenience of my point and shoot. 

There was also a pictoral history of San Francisco which I perused. I love hearing about the development of our city through adversity and wealth. Hmm....

I then rode the F-line up Market and took in the view. 

No comments:

Post a Comment