Thursday, March 31, 2011

Chorizo, Red Pepper and Potato Gallette with Argula

Well that title is a mouthful, but i guess it fits the dish itself which is ridiculously filling and delicious. it all started when i got my new sunset magazine and i was pleasantly surprised by their savory pie section. I love savory pies. i made a butternut squash one in the fall and was very happy with the results. so this one, (though it doesn't seem in line with a seasonal theme, i probably would rather have had it in the fall,) is even better. when i saw that it had chorizo, one of jacob's favorites, i knew it must be made. so i used the smitten kitchen pie crust recipe. and my new pie crust cutter upper, made it so much easier, i love tools. and got to work.

unfortunately this is probably not a dish that promotes my ideology that cooking at home is cheaper or healthier. chorizo and manchego cheese are pricey people, but for a weekend splurge or week day pick me up its perfect, i just wanted you to know what you were getting into.

i would normally just link you to the recipe online but was shocked to find that they did not have the pie section of the magazine on the internet, its like they want you to buy their paper copy or something. so here it is, your welcome.

13 inch round pie crust( see link above or they suggest pillsbury refrigerated pie dough)
1/3 lb or manchego or other basque-style sheep's-milk cheese, thinly sliced
3 ounces spanish style chorizo, thinly sliced
1/2 lb cooked and thinly sliced yukon gold potatoes
1/2 cup thinly sliced roasted red bell peppers patted dry
2 cups baby lettuce
(your favorite salad vinegar, i used white balsamic, they suggested sherry vinegar, and oil)

Roll out pie crust, leaving a 2inch border.
layer the filling ingredients. i did 1/2 of the potatoes, then cheese, then chorizo, then more potatoes, so that the cheese melted down and through everything.
fold the dough around the filling, then bake until crust is golden 20-25 minutes.

toss the lettuce with vinegar and oil, you can place it on top for a nice contrast, but i just served mine on the side.

there are no pictures due to poor lighting and hunger, but if you are confused about the folding issue here's a pic of the butternut squash gallete i mentioned earlier. its very rustic looking. nothing too complicated i promise.

also this says it serves four to six, they must not have meant people with any appetite or tastebuds or are assuming its all dieters because i made us stop eating it 2/3rds of the way through due to the afore mentioned health issues, cheese/chorizo/ and pie crust need i say more? but we could have easily finished it just the two of us.

i would bring this to a potluck dinner or serve it with a larger salad next time.
enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. This sounds awesome! I've been chowing down on beans, greens and sausages like there's no tomorrow (I blame the rain). Last night was my first taste of a spring menu, with raw fennel and asparagus and too much garlic to be good company.

    Anyway, I wanted to wax poetic about the cooking at home vs. cooking out budget issue. I very quickly found that it was cheaper for me to just go out for dinner every night, considering the amount I spent every week on ingredients. Then I tried it, and ran right back to cooking at home due to stomach aches, lack of inspired foods, and other unpleasantries. Now I justify my spending by imagining the price of my finished dishes at a fancy restaurant instead of the corner burrito stand. It makes so much sense to me to keep doing what I'm doing.

    That's all, please come over for spring food soon!

    Sadie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good! I will have to try this one!

    ReplyDelete